Pershing Square fills up for the Women’s March on Jan. 21, 2017. Photo by Brian Champlin / We Like L.A.
Los Angeles offers no restrict of issues to do, some superior and a few not so superior. Since time is valuable in this quick paced metropolis we curate an inventory of issues to do in Los Angeles for each weekend that’ll aid you determine the way you need to spend your restricted provide of consideration (not to point out dollars!).
This weekend, from Friday, January 18 to Sunday, January 20, contains a Comedy Central Drunk History exhibit, Women’s March Los Angeles, free vinyl days at The Record Parlour, Smorgasburg LA x Beat Swap Meet, LA Breweries United Fest ’19 and MUCH extra.
Remember you possibly can all the time go to our L.A. occasions calendar web page to get an up to date rundown of what’s occurring across the metropolis.
Hope you discover the rundown helpful and, as all the time, take pleasure in your weekend!
Keep in thoughts that whereas we retain full editorial management of our content material, for a few of the ticketing choices offered we make the most of affiliate hyperlinks and obtain a fee if you are going to buy by way of our hyperlinks.
Friday January 18th, 2019
1. Cats On Glass Gallery is a pop-up from January 18-27 with a objective, introduced by Fresh Step Clean Paws. The “gallery” will function a cat-lebrity Walk of Fame, a larger-than-life cat show, a yarn pom-pom room, a “me-owm” meditation room, and adoptable cats from spcaLA on view from a glass playhouse. FREE
2. dineL.A. continues via January 25 with unique lunch and dinner menus at a laundry listing of the town’s best eateries. Check out our favourite menus for dineL.A. in our newest submit The 17 Top dineL.A. Menus for January 2019.
three. The Paley Center is presently internet hosting a Comedy Central Drunk History exhibit. Visitors will get to stroll by way of giant dioramas of scenes in episodes of the brand new season now until January 20, 2019. FREE
four. DEEP-LA & BENDER presents “City Lights” at SKYSPACE a dance celebration 1,000 ft above the shining lights of DTLA. The night may also embrace a sonic sound tub, free rides on the “Skyslide,” tarot/astrology readings and extra.
5. Odd Nights At The Autry function a set of distributors, gourmand meals vans, youngsters actions, visitors DJ’s, a full bar and entry to The Autry Gallery till 9 p.m. occurring each third Friday of the month till October 2019.
6. Dance The Odyssey Theatre celebrates the artwork type of dance this week with a efficiency by Genevieve Carson/L.A. Contemporary Dance Company.
7. Greenbar Distillery will open up their facility for a tour of their natural distillery. The tour permits friends to study concerning the strategy of spirit making and style a few of Greenbar Distillery’s portfolio. Happening each Friday by means of Sunday of this month.21.
eight. The City of Pasadena will host a Family Astronomy Night this Friday with scientists from the Carnegie Observatories. Stargaze with the staff and see the moon, Mars and extra by means of their telescopes. FREE
9. Beautycon is providing a pop up expertise titled Beautycon POP occurring Friday via Sunday that includes immersive galleries, make-up manufacturers, distributors, a salon and different magnificence associated actions. Use the code POP2FOR35 to buy two tickets for $35.
10.The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv present by the forged of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout options all through the night time for improvisational scenes carried out by a number of the greatest in the enterprise. It’s additionally a testing floor for model new materials for the Groundlings’ principal present. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
Saturday January 19th, 2019
11. The Third Annual Women’s March Los Angeles returns to Pershing Square in Downtown L.A. on January 19 for a chance to rise up and let your voices be heard! Like the years earlier than, anticipate particular keynote audio system and performers on the march.
12. The Record Parlour is internet hosting free vinyl daysfrom January 19 by means of 21. Spend $20 and also you get to take residence up to 100 data free of charge. Bringing your personal field or bag is really helpful for this widespread annual occasion.
13. The first ever Bulldog Derby is occurring at Santa Anita Park this Saturday. SoCal’s quickest English and French bulldogs will dash off in a pleasant racing competitors and there might be contests, giveaways, photograph ops and extra taking place at this canine lovers occasion.
14. The Asian American Expo returns to the Fairplex in Pomona on January 19 and 20 for 2 days of celebrating the Lunar New Year via meals, artwork, and an immersive cultural expertise.
15. Fusing the world of anime and video video games, Anime Impulse will function movie star appearances, esports, artist alleys, Kawaii trend, and cosplay, all on the Fairplex in Pomona. Happening January 19 and 20.
16. Blushcon 2019 goals to assist magnificence lovers uncover indie asian magnificence manufacturers and join with micro-influencers. The conference will happen in the course of the Asian American Expo on the Fairplex in Pomona.
17. Hollywood Performance Marathon returns for the twenty-fourth yr for an all-day-all-night occasion that includes over 50 performers and an eclectic mixture of performances together with comedy, dance, music and monologues. The occasion begins at three p.m. and concludes at 2 a.m. The occasion takes place at Theatre of NOTE.
18. Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a service and group occasion at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. In honor of the beloved civil rights determine, Baldwin Hills will host a day of giving again with quite a lot of free providers for people and households. FREE
19. The Hello Kitty Cafe Truck stops by Torrance Del Amo Fashion Center from 10 a.m. to eight p.m. in the courtyard close to the AMC Theater. They’ll be serving plenty of tremendous cute treats whereas provides final.
20. The International Printing Museum presents Benjamin Franklin’s Electric Birthday Celebration a day of honoring the lifetime of one of many well-known creator and thinker in historical past.
21. Don’t Tell Comedy pops up in DTLA this Saturday for a comedy present with secret performers in a secret location. Location can be emailed to ticket holders and it’s BYOB.
22. The Huntington Gardens welcomes Juilliard educated pianist Beth Sussman for an interactive one hour household live performance impressed by the Huntington’s artwork assortment and gardens. The live performance will happen at Rothenberg Hall from 1-2 p.m.
Sunday January 20th, 2019
23. Get a style of previous Hollywood on the Annenberg Community Beach House throughout Happy Birthday Marion, a free occasion that celebrates actress Marion Davies’ 122nd birthday. FREE
24. Dreamscape Immersive, the newest contender in location-based digital actuality, has opened in the Westfield Century City mall with three distinctive adventures that embrace an alien zoo, a deep ocean dive and an motion packed journey to discover a highly effective jewel. Open Mondays by means of Thursdays.
25. Massive foodie market Smorgasburg LA in Downtown Los Angeles is open each Sunday and brings an enormous roster of indie meals pop ups, merchandise distributors and extra at ROW DTLA. This weekend Beat Swap Meet and Smorgasburg LA will host Record Fair, a brand new month-to-month occasion happening each third Sunday.
26. Enjoy limitless tastings of specialty and limited-edition beers throughout DTLA Breweries United Fest ’19. Taking place at Angel City Brewery, the brew-centric occasion proceeds will go immediately to non-profit Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – Los Angeles.
27. The Found Footage Festival showcasing footage from movies discovered at storage gross sales and thrift shops across the nation will return to L.A. on the Lodge Room in Highland Park this Sunday.
28. Every third Sunday of every month The Autry presents a Western Music Association Showcase from midday to three p.m. the place musicians and cowboy poets carry out tales and songs of the Old West. This occasion is free together with your admission to the museum.
29. Caltech Astronomy presents a lecture and lunar eclipse stargazing occasion this Sunday night. FREE
30. The people behind the Museum of Failure presents The Disgusting Food Museum (Dec. 9, 2018 by way of Feb. 17, 2019.) Some of the ‘delicacies’ embrace maggot infested cheese, bull testicles, and sheep eyeballs. If you’re courageous sufficient, guests may also get to odor and style a few of the creations on the finish of the exhibit over at a tasting bar. Check for discounted tickets earlier than making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
31. Take in a couple of laughs on the finish of the weekend at Cool Beans Comedy on the Ice House in Pasadena. Jamie Kennedy and Tone Bell are a number of performers for the night. FREE
32. Score some offers in the course of the Pasadena Camera Show & Sale. Cameras and photograph gear each classic and digital can be up for grabs throughout this occasion.
33.Party With is Los Angeles’ new Instagram-ready expertise situated at Westfield Santa Anita Mall. Folks can anticipate 15 premium photogenic installations like an infinity rainbow and a room crammed with glowing disco balls. Party With runs by means of January 27 and is open Thursdays by means of Sundays. Check for discounted tickets earlier than making your buy. DISCOUNTED (by way of Goldstar)
34. Free museum day: Craft and Folk Art Museum (pay what you possibly can) and Museum of Latin American Art
Food Pick for the Week
Pikunico Japanese Fried Chicken/ Photo credit score: Christina Champlin
This week’s decide by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
ROW DTLA has a tasty new addition to their mixed-use complicated by means of Pikunico. Centered round karaage, a type of Japanese-style fried hen, Pikunico is a ardour challenge of chef Kuniko Yayi whose resume features a stint on Top Chef and opening the award-winning Hinoki & the Bird in Century City.
On the menu you’ll discover picnic-inspired dishes with a Japanese twist. Potato salad will get an replace with white candy potatoes. Slaw is drizzled with sesame French dressing and fries are switched out for sliced fingerling potatoes dusted with negi salt.
You’ll be tempted to refill on sides however save room for the star of the present. To put together Yayi’s karaage the hen sits in a ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and sake marinade. Then it’s flippantly battered with potato starch, natural rice flour and seaweed salt. The result’s a light-weight crispy shell encapsulation that retains the tenderness of the hen. It’s as some may say “finger licking good” however you gained’t be reaching for handfuls of napkins. Amazingly there’s solely a contact of grease on the karaage. If that wasn’t ok, the hen is regionally farmed, free vary, and antibiotic free. The batter can also be gluten free for these involved. All in all, it’s a profitable, carefree meal.
Pikunico is situated 767 South Alameda Street, Suite 122, Los Angeles CA
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox each week? Sign up for our e mail program. Have an upcoming occasion you’d like recommend for itemizing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org